- Position: Forward
- Height: 6'6”
- Weight: 205 lbs.
- Birthdate:February 6, 1969
- Hometown: Port Huron, MI
- High School: Port Huron H.S.
Jay averaged 19 points, 10 rebounds and three assists as a junior for Ed Peltz. As a senior, Zulauf averaged 24 points, 12 rebounds and four assists as a senior, shooting 63% from the floor and 88% from the foul line. He lead his Port Huron team to the state quarter-finals. Port Huron finished 25-2 and won conference, district and regional championships during Zulauf's senior season. His career high for Port Huron was 36 points. He also scored 33 points for the West squad in the Michigan Coaches Association All-Star game and averaged 14 points and eight rebounds in the Michigan/Ohio All-Star series.
- 1988 AP All-State Selection
- 1988 UPI All-State Selection
- 1988 Detroit Free Press Dream Team Selection
- 1988 Conference MVP
Zulauf played in six games as a freshman at Bowling Green State University in Ohio, averaging 4.3 points and 1.6 rebounds for the Falcons. He was slowed by a bout of mononucleosis in January of 1988 and transferred to Marquette following his freshman year at Bowling Green.
Jay sat out the season, after transferring from Bowling Green State. Coach Kevin O'Neill on Zulauf- “A versatile player who will play different positionns for us. He will see time at different spots. Jay needs to become more consistent, but at the same time, really learned our system last year. I thinkn we can count on Jay to score some points and give us a boost no matter when he is playing or what position he is playing. he is an instant-offense type player.”
Played over 22 minutes per game in the final eight games averaging 9.1 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 0.611 FG% (22 of 36 FGS)…Was third on the team in FG% and tied with Mark Anglavar for the team lead in three-point %.
Ended the 1990-91 season scoring a career-high 19 points vs. St. Louis at the MCC Conference Tournament in Dayton…Made 6 of 10 FGs, 3 of 4 three-pointers and 4 of 5 FTs vs. the Billikens in 33 minutes…Played in 26 games, started the final two at Butler and St. Louis.
- Zulauf's twin brother, Jon, played at Michigan State
- His nickname was “Zoo”
- His favorite NBA player was Michael Jordan and his favorite team was the Pistons
- His ideal place to vacation is the Bahamas and he likes steak, pizza and ribs
- His hobbies include boating and going to the movies
- He felt his strengths were shooting and taking the ball to the hoop
- His goals for the 1990-91 season were to make the NCAA Tournament, win the MCC Tournament and finish 1st in the league
- Jay apparently created his own highlight film, featuring pan shots of his basketball cards, free throws and a form recruiting letter from Bobby Knight- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrnzHZHEUIM